Standing majestically on Umhlanga’s beachfront overlooking the Indian Ocean and the iconic lighthouse, The Oyster Box, a Member of Red Carnation Hotel Collection, is the ultimate destination for relaxed holidays.
Combining colonial charm, impeccable service, lush tropical gardens and breathtaking seaside setting, this hotel delivers a blend of hospitality and elegance with a wealth of modern facilities and fresh touches to satisfy today’s discerning guests. The hotel is just a five-minute walk from the Village Center, a 15-minute drive from Durban, and convenient to the places of interest.
With more that 80 rooms well designed and equipped with the modern convenience, you will be able to enjoy their award-winning Spa and its Hammam journeys speciality. With several restaurants and bar options, try a fine dining, fresh oysters and local seafood at the Grill Room, savor Indian cuisine at the Ocean Terrace, or have afternoon tea at the Palm Court.
The Oyster Box can offer a variety of dining experience with different views, locations and menus :
– The Grill Room is a part of The Oyster Box legend, being one of the finest dining in Durban, and offers a menu composed of popular dishes, Signature Dishes and contemporary new creations inspired from around the world.
– The Ocean Terrace offers incredible views of the Indian Ocean and is perfect for family and more casual dining. This enchanting restaurant offers mouthwatering Indian cuisine, a full English breakfast buffet, as well as an a la carte menu for lunch and dinner.
– With green palms and natural sunlight, eating at the Palm Court allows you to admire the original colonial architecture of the building while participating in a casual dining or a sumptuous traditional afternoon tea.
– Reflecting the soft blues of the Ocean, the Oyster Bar is the hub of the hotel. This is the perfect spot for informal meeting around a glass of chilled Champagne and freshly harvested oysters or a drink from a delicious array of cocktails the bar offers.
– The Lighthouse Bar is a really special place as, wherever you sit, you will be able to see the famous red and white lighthouse. This hottest rendez-vous spot in KwaZulu-Natal for its spectacular sunsets and sundowners offers live music, tantalising snacks and the hotel signature Umhlanga Schling cocktail.
– For 50 years, the Chukka Bar, an old world bar, is the right place to hold an intimate and comfortable conversation. Amongst the Whiskey’s, beers and other drinks it offers, it is also the only smoking venue where you can try their extensive range of Cigars.
The Wine Cellar
The Oyster Box’s wine list is predominantly made up of South African wines to showcase the quality of these wines. Other international wines from Italy, New Zealand, Australia, Burgundy and Bordeaux also appear on the list. The Oyster Box wine list has received a ‘Diamond Award’ in the Diner’s Club Awards since 2010 and received ‘Three Flutes’ in the South African Wine List of the Year Awards in 2012.
The Oyster Box has its own intimate, 24-seater cinema/screening room which is available to hotel guests. Each month, discover the cinema’s schedule, with five movies per day set from a selection of classics, comedy, adventure, drama and foreign films.
With its six treatment rooms, each equipped for dual and single treatments, everyone can enjoy the pampering of a Spa experience. The traditional Oriental heat experience to cleanse the body and relax is the best way to enjoy a stay at this hotel. Different Hammam journeys are possible according to what the guest needs.
With 86 luxurious rooms, suites and villas, The Oyster Box offers meticulously refurbished spaces with the utmost comfort and style. All of the colonial charm has been lovingly preserved such as the exquisite tiles, paintings and antique furnishings and the atmosphere reflects nicely the surrounding ocean and tropical vegetation.
Classic Rooms, Sea View
Each one of the Classic Rooms with sea view has a balcony that overlooks Umhlanga’s famous lighthouse and the breathtaking coastline.
Classic Rooms, Garden View
The Classic Rooms all overlook the hotel’s lush and tranquil gardens for a peaceful view into the hotel’s private oasis.
Luxury Rooms, Sea View
These luxury rooms all include a nice balcony with the view of the lighthouse and a bathroom with double vanities and a spacious separate shower.
Deluxe Suites, Sea View
The Deluxe suites are equipped with luxurious bedrooms and separate lounge areas. Also, you can enjoy a private plunge pool on the terrace of the suite.
Family Rooms, Sea View
For a stay with your family, even the smaller one, the Family Rooms are the best option. With a master bedroom and a second bedroom (either bunk beds or twin beds), these rooms offer all the comfort needed for the family to have a relaxed stay.
Cabanas, Sea View
The Cabanas, situated on the lower ground level, offer exceptional views of the water’s edge. Enjoy the nice individual terrace and the king size four poster beds that are in every cabana.
Garden Villa Lofts
The Lofts Rooms are beautifully decorated with a king size four poster bed and an ample space to relax and admire the garden. If needed, a Superior Garden Villa can be added to get a two bedroom villa.
Superior Garden Villas
A private plunge pool, a relaxing terrace, a private lounge and bar, and an opulent bathroom are all parts of the Superior Garden Villa. With a beautiful view of the lush surroundings of the hotel gardens, it is a nice solution for an elegant stay.
The Presidential Suite is the real treasure of this hotel. Split over two levels with a private lift, the grand master bedroom with its own calm and comfortable seating area and an intimate personal study will allow you to enjoy luxury and tranquility. The two marble bathrooms, with one offering a gorgeous sea view, the private rim-flow swimming pool, the private lounge, the dining room with seating for 8 guests with private bar, the well equipped kitchen and an additional bedroom, are also composing this elegant suite.